[isabelle-dev] Reasons mira crashes

Lars Noschinski noschinl at in.tum.de
Thu Nov 29 07:29:04 CET 2012

On 28.11.2012 22:18, Makarius wrote:
> We have the "shared disk" configuration, with "Advantages: can use
> existing setup", "Disadvantages: generally restricted to intranets, not
> generally recommended due to general issues with network filesystem
> reliability".

I think what people are actually using now for the most part (as almost
everyone uses a laptop not permanently connected to the intranet) is the
"ssh" configuration (which of course reduces to the shared disk
configuration, as everyone uses a different machine to ssh to.

> So we still carry a lot of CVS baggage stemming from 1993, not just in
> the low-level technological sense.
>
> Nothing new, all known already. I usually ignore it to avoid the trouble
> of thinking about more fundamental changes.

We could make up a rule "always go through host X" (X being one of the
macbroys/lxbroys) and hope it is the simultaneous access from multiple
hosts and not the fact that it is laying on a NFS which makes it unreliable.

   -- Lars