[isabelle-dev] jEdit: Scrollbalken in Popups

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Nov 16 14:18:19 CET 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov 2012, Lars Noschinski wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> as can be seen on
>
>    <http://www21.in.tum.de/~noschinl/jedit-screenshot.png>,
>
> (from Isabelle ecffea78d381 on Linux), scroll bars partially obscur the
> content of a popup.
>
> BTW, for theorems it would be pretty nifty, if the popup would show the
> theorem, not only its name.

See also this thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/isabelle-dev@mailbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/msg03350.html

It is merely a matter that I did not find time yet to figure out these two
main things:

   (1) precise size of jEdit TextArea inner components (the "Painter")

   (2) control of scrollbars related to that

Apart from getting the window size vs TextArea painter size right, I also
have the ambition to suppress scrollbars if they are not needed (i.e. in
most situations). This requires a very accurate job with the metrics etc.
and the scrollbars really need to be there when there are required,
otherwise the user won't see parts of the text.

If someone else wants to investigate the jEdit sources while I am busy
elsewhere, I am keen to get some explanations how I have to approach it.

Such jEdit issues typically require 2 hours, 2 days, or 2 weeks to study
its sources.  I guess this instance is between 2 hours and 2 days.