[isabelle-dev] simplifier and subgoaler not transitive

Christian Urban christian.urban at kcl.ac.uk
Wed May 23 11:48:55 CEST 2012

I am amazed....by you and the simplifier!

Yes, indeed one rule in question was added by mksimps.
You were spot on. I never knew that they have some
more-than-special meaning. ;o)

The reason why I prefer to keep the freshness constraints
together is that

   atom a # (x1, x2, x3, x4, x5)

would expand to

   atom a # x1 /\ atom a # x2 /\ ...

thus bloating the goal state.

Poring over the trace again and again, and adding "probes",
like the ones below (in case somebody is interested), actually
the trace information is quite instructive. It is just a lot of
pain to piece everything together...but I guess that is what
one has to love when working with Isabelle. ;o)

In conclusion, I need to implement a special solver for solving the
type of goals I want to solve...quite a sophisticated piece of code
the simplifier, but good that it lets me do that.

Thanks again for all replies!
Christian

ML {*
val test_solver = mk_solver "test solver"
   (fn ss => fn n => print_tac ("TEST SOLVER"))

fun test_subgoaler ss n =
   print_tac ("SUBGOALER TEST") THEN asm_simp_tac ss n
*}

declaration {* fn _ =>
  Simplifier.map_ss (fn ss => Simplifier.set_subgoaler test_subgoaler (ss addSolver test_solver))
*}