[isabelle-dev] simplifier trace (and jedit)

Thomas Sewell Thomas.Sewell at nicta.com.au
Wed May 23 07:57:38 CEST 2012

The _2 v.s. (2) thing is just silly. It's in find_theorems output too.
It's just the way theorems get their names - probably one of these
decisions made years ago and not compatible with Makarius' decisions
about how to fetch theorems in Isar.

Adding context information to every reduction sounds too big in most
cases - both for human consumption and for processing by fragile
processes like ProofGeneral. I agree with you though that context can be
hard to follow.

As for (simp only: ) vs unfolding - your rule is of the form "Not (Suc
nat = 0)" which the simplifier preprocesses into "(Suc nat = 0) ==
False" but which the naive unfolder processes as "(Not (Suc nat = 0)) ==
True". That is, without further setup, the rule is not really an
unfoldable rule.

Yours,
     Thomas.