[isabelle-dev] Locale interpretation with mixins

Clemens Ballarin ballarin at in.tum.de
Sun May 6 21:36:35 CEST 2012

Hi Florian,

What is called mixin in the implementation is a transfer principle
that is applied in addition to the interpretation morphism.  Currently
users can only give equations, which yield rewrite morphisms, and
consequently, the term 'mixin' appears nowhere in the documentation.
On the other hand, the locale core 'knows' nothing about the
equations.  For it, their are just general transfer principles.

Regarding your questions:

a) This is intentional.  Mathematics is full of examples where a
concept can be defined differently (more easily) in a situation that
is more concrete.  I might have to tweak inheritance of rewrite
morphisms in the future, though, and that's why the documentation is
relatively vague.

b) I don't yet see how one could reliably predict which equations
should be unfolded.  This might be more obvious in the class package.
For interpretation, we don't even know whether a rewrite morphism is
related to a definition.

An alternative proof avoiding the 'OF construction' in your example is
attached.

Clemens