[isabelle-dev] sets and code generation

Jesus Aransay jesus-maria.aransay at unirioja.es
Fri Mar 23 11:45:39 CET 2012

Dear all,

after reading the thread about code generation from sets I was
wondering myself if there would be any chance to apply such ideas to
the definition of matrices in the distribution
(HOL/Matrix/Matrix.thy).

The matrix type definition reads as follows:

type_synonym 'a infmatrix = "nat \<Rightarrow> nat \<Rightarrow> 'a"

definition nonzero_positions :: "(nat \<Rightarrow> nat \<Rightarrow>
'a::zero) \<Rightarrow> (nat \<times> nat) set" where
  "nonzero_positions A = {pos. A (fst pos) (snd pos) ~= 0}"

typedef 'a matrix = "{(f::(nat \<Rightarrow> nat \<Rightarrow>
'a::zero)). finite (nonzero_positions f)}"
proof -
  have "(\<lambda>j i. 0) \<in> {(f::(nat \<Rightarrow> nat
\<Rightarrow> 'a::zero)). finite (nonzero_positions f)}"
    by (simp add: nonzero_positions_def)
  then show ?thesis by auto
qed

I know there is an alternative way to get that, by means of sparse
matrices (SparseMatrix.thy), but it demands translating every
operation over the matrix type to its equivalent version for "sparse
matrices", which may be sometimes hard work.

Thanks in advance for any hint,

Jesus