[isabelle-dev] Google group fa.isabelle

Lars Noschinski noschinl at in.tum.de
Thu Mar 8 08:24:35 CET 2012

On 07.03.2012 23:43, Makarius wrote:
> Google provides this mirror of the isabelle-users mailing list:
> http://groups.google.com/group/fa.isabelle/about
>
> Does anybody understand how this works? Google says "This is a Usenet
> group".

I don't know how this gateway works, but it is not Google who provides
the gateway. Someone provides the gateway from the isabelle mailing list
to an Usenet group and Google provides a general usenet interface.

I have noticed the fa.* hierarchy before, as far as i know it is an
ancient hierarchy of mailing list gateways:

## FA (Gated mailing lists)
#
# This hierarchy was removed in the Great Renaming of 1988.
#
# A site in Norway is currently (as of 2002) gatewaying various mailing
# lists into fa.* newsgroups, but that site does not appear to be issuing
# any control messages for those groups.
#
# This hierarchy is still in use, but it has no active maintainer.
# Control messages for this hierarchy should not be honored without
# confirming that the sender is the new hierarchy maintainer.
(from ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/CONFIG/control.ctl)

The messages all have the header "NNTP-Posting-Host: mail-jess.uio.no",
so there is probably some @uio.no address subscribed to the
isabelle-users mailing list, which feeds this gateway.

   -- Lars