[isabelle-dev] Future and maintainance of ~isabelle/contrib_devel at TUM NFS

Florian Haftmann florian.haftmann at informatik.tu-muenchen.de
Sat Jun 16 18:41:22 CEST 2012

> @Florian: so your suggestion would be that there are several components
> files in Admin, say "Admin/contributed_components_x86-linux" containing
>
>   contrib/x86-linux/jdx-6u31-x86_linux
>   contrib/e-1.5
>
> Then the extra path component is redundant, and I think I would rather
> go without it, since the risk of confusion is high, since the invariant
> is easy to violate. The directories-for-platforms convention also breaks
> down when, say, some component is universal accross linux and macos, but
> needs a special case for cygwin. Where would you put this then?
>
> I now realized that having separate component files has the advantage
> that you can easily make a single installation can be used from
> different platform without changing symlinks. I think this is important
> enough to not consider variant a) further.
>
> So I think I now prefer a flat directory as component repository, and a
> component file for each platform.

I have also come to that conclusion, yes.  As a variant, I could also
think of something like

	Admin/etc/components.x86-linux
	…
	Admin/etc/components.whatever-platform

with or without a generic

	Admin/etc/components

Whether the component mechanism handles platform suffixes implicitly or
not is yet another matter of detail.

	Florian

--

PGP available: