[isabelle-dev] Redundant equations in function declarations

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Jun 4 09:28:09 CEST 2012

I may as well be a bit more explicit. About seven Cambridge MPhil students were given an assignment that included converting the following ML code into HOL and proving theorems about it.

fun nnf (Atom a) = Atom a
  | nnf (Neg (Atom a)) = Neg (Atom a)
  | nnf (Neg (Neg p)) = nnf p
  | nnf (Neg (Conj(p,q))) = nnf (Disj(Neg p, Neg q))
  | nnf (Neg (Disj(p,q))) = nnf (Conj(Neg p, Neg q))
  | nnf (Conj(p,q)) = Conj(nnf p, nnf q)
  | nnf (Disj(p,q)) = Disj(nnf p, nnf q);

fun distrib (p, Conj(q,r)) = Conj(distrib(p,q), distrib(p,r))
  | distrib (Conj(q,r), p) = Conj(distrib(q,p), distrib(r,p))
  | distrib (p, q) = Disj(p,q)

fun cnf (Conj(p,q)) = Conj (cnf p, cnf q)
  | cnf (Disj(p,q)) = distrib (cnf p, cnf q)
  | cnf p = p

Nearly half of the students moved the “catchall" lines from the last position to the first, for reasons I cannot fathom. At least one discovered that annoying termination issues in the function nnf could be fixed by inserting the line

  | nnf (Neg p) = Neg (nnf a)

near the top. None of the students were stupid, but they were rushed due to the impact of other deadlines, and were desperate to get their definitions past the system. Moreover, I didn't notice all of these errors myself until I actually executed their examples. I don't need to elaborate the effect these errors had on the rest of the assignments. Which were worth 50% of their course grade.

I don't think underlining would make much difference, because people are already used to ignoring underlined material in Microsoft Word.

Larry