[isabelle-dev] "canonical" left-fold combinator for lists

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Fri Jan 13 09:06:38 CET 2012

I agree very strongly. I am not tied to any particular argument order,
but there should only be 2, not 3 folds. And there should be no claims
of canonicity. If anything, the canonical fold operator (with some
sensible argument order) is foldr f c which replaces :: by f and [] by
c. And to avoid further canonicity arguments, the two names should be
foldl and foldr (The nice article by Graham Hutton calls foldr fold and
only mentions foldl in a subsection.)

Tobias