[isabelle-dev] NEWS

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Jan 5 10:16:35 CET 2012

On Thu, 5 Jan 2012, Alexander Krauss wrote:

> This raises the question what the role of the old "development
> snapshots" is.

> I have not used one myself for many years, and I think their existence
> is mostly historic (In the old days, a TUM account was required to be
> able to check out the CVS repository, so the snapshots were the only way
> of sharing non-releases with the outside world).

It is not that "old", stemming from 2003/2004 only.  Compared to that time
it has indeed been de-emphasized quite a bit, there was also much less
difference between snapshots and proper releases back then.

Right now the build available on http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/ has
still a few virtues compared to a repository clone:

   * tested against regular isatest
   * partly integrated as pseudo-release, e.g. the docs and
     Isabelle/Scala/jEdit are already compiled

One would still need the add-on components, and play roulette with the
corresponding versions.

> Perhaps the solution is to provide a release candidate early on,
> together with an announcement of the changes.

In addition to a comprehensive NEWS entry one could post explicit
instructions on isabelle-users, say when the first "test releases" are
announced (2-3 weeks before the official release).  Last time I've made
this public test announcement for the first time, although there was
hardly any feedback *before* the actual release.