[isabelle-dev] NEWS

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jan 4 22:19:42 CET 2012

On Wed, 4 Jan 2012, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> It seems to me that we owe users an announcement on the mailing list so
> that they know that this is coming. They can then download a development
> snapshot to see what it will look like.

Coping with the delicacies introducing further challanges users, which
might be even more difficult than this medium sized incompatibility.

The difference of a fully integrated release bundle and "a development
snapshot" is increasing more and more -- since the bundles are getting so
advanced.  I would not like to see the clear distinction between
production quality releases and arbitrary snapshots diluted.  Some users
might even think that a snapshot is always the latest and greatest thing,
while in reality it ages much faster than proper releases.