[isabelle-dev] README.html

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Mon Feb 20 13:36:07 CET 2012

On Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> They served a purpose once, but we probably have too much material now for such a simple mechanism to be useful. I'm not sure they were ever regularly maintained.
> Larry
>
> On 18 Feb 2012, at 08:01, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
>
>> I wonder if we should just get rid of them. I looked at a few and much
>> of the information in there is outdated. Useful information could be
>> moved into the pdf document.
>>
>> Tobias
>>
>> Am 17/02/2012 22:10, schrieb Florian Haftmann:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> recently I stumbled again over our famour ancient README files, e.g.
>>> http://isabelle.in.tum.de/dist/library/HOL/README.html.
>>>
>>> Is there a vision what we should do with them in the long run?

The one of ~~/src/HOL is particularly odd, it mainly consists of some
headers for a historic collection of sessions. Other sessions have more
informative README.html files, such as Auth or UNITY.

In principle, the Isabelle documents can contain that information in a
better way. Maybe the main authors of certain sessions can gradually move
their README material to the main document, so that they will disappear at
some point.