[isabelle-dev] Explanation required

Brian Huffman huffman at in.tum.de
Fri Feb 17 07:58:05 CET 2012

Hi Christian,

Please see this thread from isabelle-dev, November 2009:

https://mailmanbroy.informatik.tu-muenchen.de/pipermail/isabelle-dev/2009-November/000713.html

To summarize: A theorem meta_ext (like ext but using meta-equality
"==" instead of "=") is derivable using only theorem operations of
Isabelle's proof kernel; this is what it means to say that
extensionality is built into the meta-logic.

Axiom ext is actually derivable from meta_ext, but only by using axiom
eq_reflection, which is labeled as an "admissible axiom". (I guess
that means that it is not one of the usual axioms of HOL, but that
adding it as an axiom is somehow conservative, in that it doesn't
extend the set of provable object-level formulas in HOL. I'm not
exactly sure about that, though.)

axiomatization where
  eq_reflection: "x = y ==> x == y" (*admissible axiom*)

- Brian