[isabelle-dev] Isabelle website

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Feb 16 15:13:44 CET 2012

On Fri, 27 Jan 2012, Johannes Hölzl wrote:

> Sorry this was my change. I removed the .html to not change the url when
> the contents changes to a directory or a wiki, like
> "isabelle.in.tum.de/community"
>
> It looks like Content Negotiation is not active on the Cambridge server.
> When it is active access to "abc" maps to "abc.html"
>
> I changed the navigation back to have the html-ending in the url.

>From my experience with the website over the years, it is better to
minimize assumptions on the functionality provided by the servers.
Sometimes the servers are misconfigured (as was Sydney for UTF-8 last
year) but sometimes there are unneccesary gimmicks in the HTML that can be
disposed.

> Another question is: Are the mirrors still required?

Does it mean you want to discontinue the TUM mirror?  The Cambridge site
is the most senior one, and most often referenced in publications.

Anyway, after quite a few years online, all 3 mirrors have many links
pointing to them from out there in the world wide web.

Some years ago we also made started to ensure that certain content is
explicit wrt. the Isabelle release, so one could link to something like
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/website-Isabelle2008/dist/Isabelle/doc/tutorial.pdf
if this is really required in a certain situation.  It is more common
though to point to an "arbitrary but recent" version like
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/doc/implementation.pdf -- this "doc" URL is
canonical IIRC, but there might be further aliases of more relevance.