[isabelle-dev] Isabelle manuals as regular session documents

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Aug 30 15:57:07 CEST 2012

On Thu, 30 Aug 2012, Lars Noschinski wrote:

> My current ROOT file looks like this:
>
> session Haskabelle (doc) in "Haskabelle" = HOL +
>  options [document_variants = "haskabelle"]
>  theories [document = false] Setup
>  theories Haskabelle
>  files
>    "document/build"
>    "document/root.tex"
>    "document/style.sty"
>
> However, the sessions ~~/src/Doc/ROOT contain various sets of
> dependencies in ~~/src/Doc, e.g.:
>
> Classes:
>    "../prepare_document"
>    "../pdfsetup.sty"
>
> Functions:
>    "../prepare_document"
>    "../pdfsetup.sty"
>    "../iman.sty"
>    "../extra.sty"
>    "../isar.sty"
>    "../manual.bib"
>
> Should I add these dependencies, too? (As $ISABELLE_HOME/src/Doc/...)?
> Or should I omit them? They seem to be inconsistently handled in
> ~~/src/Doc/ROOT, too.
>
> The dependencies of Classes are incomplete (probably

In principle the 'files' section should mention all informal files that
are somehow needed to build the session. For the latex stuff, these are
all shell scripts and style files -- there is also a corellation with the
copying in document/build.

This already indicates a remaining weakness of the document build setup,
because it resembles the old Makefiles too closely with its redundancy and
uncertainty about dependencies.

I am already considering one more reform for the ROOT:

   document_files ...

specifies exactly the files that should be copied into the document build
bed, before running any latex jobs.  Thus the duplication with 'files' and
cp in document/build is avoided, and any omissions are more easily
detected since without a copy of a required file latex won't run.

I did not move forward yet, because my impression is that the early
adopters on this mailing list have difficulties to catch up.