[isabelle-dev] Building nightly snapshots

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Aug 23 16:23:49 CEST 2012

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012, Christian Urban wrote:

> I am used to building the nightly snapshots, which in the olden days was
> conveniently done by the build script. Well, times change. ;o)

Just yesterday I've starting thinking if these snapshots still have any
purpose.  Since Admin/components is missing, it is relatively hard to
recover a running system from that tar.gz blob.  It is now so much easier
bootstrap directly from the repository (as explained at the end of
README_REPOSITORY).

> I remember (and again verified just now) that with the
> snapshot from 14 August I can build Isabelle with
>
>  ./bin/isabelle build -v -s -c HOL-Nominal
>
> and then do
>
>  ./bin/isabelle install -p ....
>
> to have Isabelle up and running. But doing the same with
> the snapshot from 20 August and also 22 August, I get the
> following error message:
>

>  ./bin/isabelle build -v -s -c HOL-Nominal
>  Duplicate session "RAW" (file "/usr/local/src/Isabelle_22-Aug-2012/src/Pure/ROOT")
>
> Any ideas what I do wrong? How can I get the snapshot
> to run?

Hard to tell without knowing the interval of changeset ids to look at the
differences.  Downloading todays snapshot (which is Isabelle_23-Aug-2012
4cd4ef1ef4a4), it seems to work.

There might be also some local configuration that pretends that you have
certain source directories more than once, say both via some ROOTS file
and as Isabelle components.