[isabelle-dev] http://isabelle.in.tum.de/testboard/

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Aug 16 23:03:32 CEST 2012

On Thu, 16 Aug 2012, Alexander Krauss wrote:

>> It could be an NFS corruption of the repository, or just the server
>> feeling too hot.  I've no real idea.
>
> This seems to be happening regularly now, which is really very annoying.

The testboard is not the main repository; so far the problem did not occur
again on the latter.  I am still hoping that the main repository is clean.

> * Strip the broken revisions (after making a backup):
>
> cp -a . /some/backup/location
> hg strip -n REV
>
> (Note: This seems to fail with the newest version installed at some machines:
> here, strip also produces an exception. However, hg 2.1.1 installed at
> lxbroy10 works).

The release notes for Mercurial 2.1.2 say that option -n (no backup) is
now ignored, and it seems to have been discontinued later.  What is its
purpose here anyway?

Generally, it is important to understand that "hg strip" is a
non-monotonic single-user maintenance operation on the physical
repository.  It is a matter of last resort, in a situation where a single
person is sent into the reactor to make some repairs after a meltdown,
while everybody else is standing outside watching.