[isabelle-dev] Default PDF viewer

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Apr 25 13:22:22 CEST 2012

On Wed, 25 Apr 2012, Lars Noschinski wrote:

>> I saw that d5e7f7039e03 changed the default pdf viewer from xpdf to
>> evince. I wonder whether xdg-open would not be the more sensible choice.

I did not know about xdg-open.  I will try it.

> According to [1], Cygwin has also the "cygstart" utility which should
> start the native default PDF viewer.
>
> [1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/577595/open-a-file-from-cygwin

I was looking for something like that yesterday.  I will also try it.

What I have done was to bundle
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/free-pdf-reader.html which
is a quite nice and free PDF viewer for Windows.  Thus we remove the
assumption that users have some PDF viewer alreaday installed. (I have
removed my Acrobat installation after the virtual harddisk has filled up,
so that I can actually upack this bulky Isabelle.exe :-)