[isabelle-dev] "spass": Internal error: exception Empty raised (line 458 of "library.ML")

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Apr 24 20:58:58 CEST 2012

On Tue, 24 Apr 2012, Jasmin Christian Blanchette wrote:

> Am 23.04.2012 um 22:02 schrieb Makarius:
>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2012, Alexander Krauss wrote:
>>
>>> Sledgehammering...
>>> "spass": Internal error:
>>> exception Empty raised (line 458 of "library.ML")
>>>
>> I've seen it before, but for the remote provers, and did not
>> investigate further yet. My first idea was it could be a problem of the
>> network connection of the heavily fortified vmbroy9 machine, but spass
>> is certainly local.
>
> I can reproduce it on my WinXP-on-VirtualBox installation. There are a
> couple of variants of this: Sometimes it affects a remote prover,
> sometimes I get an "empty string" error from "remote_e". It's certainly
> not tied to "spass". The error seems to go away when an explicit prover
> is specified by passing "[prover = ...]" to the "sledgehammer" command.
>
> I'll see if I can debug this further. I can't seem to get this to happen
> with the Mac bundle (from 23 April 2012).

I have also made some more experiments.  The Empty exception is from the
split_last here
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle/file/ea153f6abdb6/src/HOL/Tools/Sledgehammer/sledgehammer_provers.ML#l614
where you don't get any output unexpectedly, bacause /bin/sh has crashed.
Ouch!

Such things happen on Cygwin.  I will try to sort out the physical
problem.  Maybe you can make the ML part more informative nonetheless.