[isabelle-dev] Quickcheck Examples

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Apr 20 16:29:01 CEST 2012

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Lukas Bulwahn wrote:

> On 02/27/2012 02:31 PM, Makarius wrote:
>>
>> The process is running with approx. 100-200% most of the time, which is
>> neither sequential nor fully parallel.  Probably you merely benefit from
>> theory parallelism, not from more fine-grained Par_List things that could
>> be used in your own code.
>>
>> One potential source of problems is the pseudo-random generator, with
>> its global state.  There have been funny effects in the past that might
>> have come back in one form or the other, even though random generators
>> have been changed several times.
>>
>> Anyway, how long does the session run on "your laptop"?
>>
> I have not noticed that non-termination on my laptop when checking my
> changesets.
> Also with the setting mentioned above, I could not reproduce the
> non-terminating behaviour on macbroy2 with changesets baf90cb2a606.
>
> I will continue testing Quickcheck-Examples to see if it only occurs
> infrequently.

My observation on 27-Feb-2012 was still very crude, I've updated that in a
private mail on 16-Mar-2012.

In particular, "nontermination" means "termination after 1-2 hours", and
it is independent of parallelism:

http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/stats/at-poly/HOL-Quickcheck_Examples.png
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/devel/stats/mac-poly-M4/HOL-Quickcheck_Examples.png

The isatest settings are in Admin/isatest/settings/.