[isabelle-dev] <-> and <-->

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Apr 17 19:51:26 CEST 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Alexander Krauss wrote:

> On 04/17/2012 05:41 PM, Tobias Nipkow wrote:
>> This is what I would call unwieldy: instead of typing<--> or<-> (and
>> having them converted to the appropriate symbols) you always type<->,
>> but then you have to select from a menue. I don't see the progress.
>
> Could not agree more. These arrows are very common, and I want to be
> able to type them without menu interaction. The selection idea is the
> equivalent of "instead of having to use the shift key, you simply type
> the letter and then select from the menu whether you want the capital or
> the small letter".
>
> Of course we should not forget that the eager replacement done by
> PG/Emacs is also problematic: try to type ~~/src and see how many
> keystrokes you need :-)

We all know these bad jokes of both Emacs and jEdit.  But the general
problem of mathematical input has been studied by other people before -- I
often see snippets of that at the CICM conference.  Even just for plain
JVM-based IDE-style editing there are better solutions than the Sidekick
popup that I am still using in Isabelle/jEdit (which was easy to set up in
30min).

Anybody who feels like contributing constructively, should do a survey of
the possibilities on the JVM platform and propose an suitable improvement
of the Isabelle/jEdit completion mechanism.  Ideally with a little Scala
implementation.

Concerning the situation in Isabelle/ProofGeneral right now: it is
unmaintained so nothing can move there for this release.