[isabelle-dev] Future of ProofGeneral

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Tue Apr 17 19:41:57 CEST 2012

On Tue, 17 Apr 2012, Peter Lammich wrote:

>> Anyway, who is maintaining Isabelle ProofGeneral now?  The repository
>> version does not work with Emacs 23 for several months already.  It
>> seems that nobody cares about it anymore.
>>
>> For the release, I will package up official ProofGeneral-4.1 as last
>> time. It is then up to its users to test it and report problems in the
>> usual testing stage before the release.
>
> I guess most of the PG users work on the release version, and would be
> quite annoyed if the next release contains a buggy PG.

(I've switched the thread of this, because the Future of ProofGeneral is a
serious issue in its own right.)

The plan for the comining release (which will happen within a couple of
weeks) is to keep the status-quo of Isabelle2011-1.  This means
ProofGeneral will be not more buggy than everybody is used to anyway.
Today I've made some quick tests with Emacs on Mac OS X already, and it
looks not worse than last fall.

In the longer run, the proponents of ProofGeneral need to find a solution
for themselves, and organize a maintenance scheme -- I have pointed this
out several times before.  BTW, there is quite a lot of recent activity on
the ProofGeneral CVS, so it is not quite dead yet.