[isabelle-dev] Fwd: [isabelle] Exception in conv.ML

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Fri May 27 16:09:19 CEST 2011

It looks like this exception is raised when gconv_rule cv i th is called and the specified subgoal does not exist. The function gconv_rule is called in only four places in Pure:

./Isar/element.ML:      (Conv.gconv_rule Drule.beta_eta_conversion 1 r)
./raw_simplifier.ML:  then Conv.gconv_rule (rewrite_cterm mode prover ss) i thm
./raw_simplifier.ML:    Seq.single (Conv.gconv_rule (rewrite_cterm mode (SINGLE o prover_tac) ss) i thm)
./tactical.ML:fun CONVERSION cv i st = Seq.single (Conv.gconv_rule cv i st)

Without a full trace, it is impossible to be certain which one. I looked in raw_simplifier.ML, and the two calls did the necessary check to prevent this exception from being raised. The function CONVERSION in tactical.ML does no check, but catches exception THM. This leaves the function compose_witness in Isar/element.ML, where I see neither a check that the subgoal exists nor an exception handler. But I could be wrong, as such checks may be done elsewhere. Does anybody else have a suggestion?

Larry

Begin forwarded message: