[isabelle-dev] jedit

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Jun 29 15:39:48 CEST 2011

On Wed, 29 Jun 2011, Tobias Nipkow wrote:

> I just had the situation were I opened a thy file and it simply stayed
> pink. Even after I closed all other buffers. Exiting and restarting
> jedit helped, but maybe there is some other way?

Normally it should not happen, not more than "rarely".  In any case the
interactive session management is still in the state of last summer, and
needs again some reworking to make it more robust.

> A suggestion concerning colour: numbers in magenta are on the loude side
> and give them more prominence than desirable. If you have a few numbers
> in your formula, they completely dominate. I suggest to use the same
> colour as for constants.

What you actually see here is the color for jEdit string literals.  Now
that the prover produces so much other markup for the formal content, very
little text inside a string is shown as such: term "%x. x". will give you
other colors for all the formal parts, neglecting the aspect of quotation.
This can be a bit confusing, when hardly anything that the quotes are
shown with that standard highlighting for strings.

Instead of adding further "black" markup for such unexpected things like
numerals inside strings, I would like to see a better way to indicate
"string" and "verbatim" text in the first place.  Only recently, I have
learned about alpha channels (transparency), which is already used for the
CONTROL/COMMAND highlighting of logical entities.  So the odd pink/purple
of embedded text items could be given up altogether, if there are good
color/transparency values for indicating the quoted range.

Finding good color schemes is an ongoing process.  There are still several
oddities.  And quite a bit of it comes out badly on a digital projector.
(I start to understand what people mean by "web design".)