[isabelle-dev] Feedback from a Isabelle tutorial

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Fri Jun 24 23:21:00 CEST 2011

On Fri, 24 Jun 2011, Alexander Krauss wrote:

>>> It is a known issue (if an issue at all) that in Isabelle/jEdit it is
>>> sometimes necessary to cut-and-paste some lines in order to
>>> "synchronize."
>
>> This behaviour is indeed getting in the way in practice. It works
>> according to the "specification" of the editing model, but
>
> What is actually the specification of the editing model? I am just
> curious here, and if you can explain it quickly, it may give me an
> intuition of what's happening when something goes "wrong" (i.e., as
> specified).

The incremental parsing process tries to recognize "command spans", while
preserving already recognized commands. This means command fragments
inside an unbalanced quoted entity (" or {*) get "stuck".  The copy-paste
workaround forces a complete reparse.  There is also an add-on heuristic
to reparse the current line completely.

The plan is to give up all the special arrangements and reparse the
visible area eagerly, while treating the invisible one lazyly.