[isabelle-dev] [isabelle] power2_sum outside of rings

Brian Huffman brianh at cs.pdx.edu
Wed Jun 22 22:23:05 CEST 2011

Obviously, the naturals assign a non-standard meaning to negative numerals.

But are there any types that assign a non-standard meaning to
*positive* numerals? (By "standard" I mean 2=1+1, 3=1+1+1, 4=1+1+1+1,
etc.) Is there any reason why anyone would ever want to define or use
such a type?

If not - and if at some point in the future we switch over to unsigned
numerals - then I think it might be useful to do to class "number"
what we did with class "power" a while back: Replace the overloaded
constant with a single, standard definition.

In any case, I think such a major change would require a bit of
planning, and probably won't happen for a while. But I think that
adding a number_semiring class would be a step in the right direction,
and it would be easy enough to make that change right now.

- Brian