[isabelle-dev] Feature request: print warning message when a definition shadows a previously-used name

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Aug 23 10:12:52 CEST 2011

I'm not sure that a warning is necessary. There were multiple factors in my confusion.

One, clearly, was that type classes (like everything else) had always been global, and I never expected them to be localised.

Two, I expected a type class such as complete_boolean_algebra to be canonical: the one defined in Main should be the right one, so any modification should be out of the question.

I haven't actually studied the two definitions to see which one is really correct; getting these proofs working again is difficult enough. But either the one in Main needs to be corrected, or the local one needs to be given a more appropriate name.

Larry