[isabelle-dev] (Re-)introducing set as a type constructor rather than as mere abbreviation

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Fri Aug 19 07:06:34 CEST 2011

Am 19/08/2011 00:10, schrieb Stefan Berghofer:
> Tobias Nipkow wrote:
>>> Do you know of any more pain, apart from what Florian already mentioned?
>>
>> I think he omitted to mention type classes. It comes up again and again
>> on the mailing list.
>
> Really?

Yes. You yourself discovered right away that you cannot just treat a set
like a predicate in this respect:

  set_plus: "A + B == {c. EX a:A. EX b:B. c = a + b}"
  func_plus: "f + g == (%x. f x + g x)"

See the emails that Alex sent around recently. We gave up on set_plus.

Later, people wanted to do just that more than once. Here is one instance:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.mathematics.logic.isabelle.user/1689/focus=1697

There are others.

Tobias