[isabelle-dev] (Re-)introducing set as a type constructor rather than as mere abbreviation

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 12 13:01:00 CEST 2011

It's clear that for inductive definitions, relations are frequently more natural than sets. But I wonder whether a less drastic solution could have been found than abandoning sets altogether. (I'm trying to imagine some sort of magic operator to ease the transition between sets with various forms of tupling and relations.) I certainly find the new world confusing. And of course every set has a function type, which has implications for all the theorem proving tools.
Larry