[isabelle-dev] (Re-)introducing set as a type constructor rather than as mere abbreviation

Thomas Sewell Thomas.Sewell at nicta.com.au
Fri Aug 12 02:15:15 CEST 2011

I'm strongly in favour of an explicit set type.

I've been asked for advice by a number of novice Isabelle users and given the same recommendation: go make the development type-check under the old rules. Then the simplifier will start helping you rather than fighting you.

I suppose there might be an alternative strategy involving adapting the simpset or similar to try to standardise blended terms on set operations or function operations. But I don't think this is possible the way Isabelle works - if it were not the default noone then it would not help, and if it were then it would generate years of work in compatibility with the existing proof library.

Yours,
    Thomas.