[isabelle-dev] [isabelle] Higher-order matching against schematic variables

Michael Chan mchan at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 19 14:02:37 CET 2010

On 19/11/10 12:28, Lawrence Paulson wrote:
> Looking at this again, I'm not certain there is a bug. You are displaying the variable assignments, but are you first applying the type variable assignments? Both must be used in order to instantiate the object term.

Please bear with me -- I'm not sure about the type variable assignments
part of your response. Doesn't the unifier unify both types and terms?
If so, why are type variable assignments needed in order to instantiate
the object term?

I'm calling Unify.matchers on the pattern and the lemma, so I suspect I
might not be applying the type variable assignments. How can they be
obtained? And when you said applying the assignments, did you mean
giving the unifier the assignments?

Here's a snippet of my code:

ML {*

val trm1 = term_of @{cpat "(?f::?'a=>?'b) ?stuff = ?v"};
val trm2 = Thm.prop_of @{thm lem};

val mtch_seq = let
   val init = Envir.empty 0
   val ctxt = @{context}
   val (Const ("Trueprop",_) $ trm2) = Thm.prop_of (ProofContext.get_thm
ctxt "lem")
in
   Unify.matchers @{theory} [(trm1,trm2)]
end;

*}

Thanks again

Michael

--
Postal Address: School of Informatics, University of Edinburgh,
Room 2.05, Informatics Forum, 10 Crichton Street,
Email: M.Chan at ed.ac.uk
Web Page: http://homepages.inf.ed.ac.uk/mchan/

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.