[isabelle-dev] Aquamacs emacs

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Sat May 15 16:32:22 CEST 2010

On Sat, 15 May 2010, Lawrence Paulson wrote:

> Aquamacs 2.0 was released last week (http://aquamacs.org/), and it seems
> to be very much better than previous versions. I have been using it
> without difficulties in conjunction with proof general 4.0. I didn't
> notice any of the old problems. Symbols display correctly; cut and paste
> work correctly both within Emacs and to and from other applications.

Which version of PG 4 is this?  I only know of
ProofGeneral-4.0pre091204.tgz, and the repository version seems to be
mostly identical to that, which means it is highly unstable.

The situation concerning PG is still unchanged since the Isabelle2009-1
release:

   * PG 4.x is broken
   * PG 3.7.1.1 is in stasis, it somehow works but for Emacs 22.x only

Unless the PG 4.x situation changes dramatically, it means our time is
running out as major Emacs distribution switch to GNU Emacs 23 (like
Aquamacs 2.0), because PG 3.7.1.1 will no longer work.  I reckon that the
serious problems we already have will escalate within the next 12 months
or so.