[isabelle-dev] Bug in linordered_ring_less_cancel_factor simproc

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon May 10 14:32:10 CEST 2010

I have looked at this ancient code again, and think I understand the problem.

prove_conv is mostly used to prove the conclusion of the simproc. If the two terms are equal, then it is unwanted, so the correct response is to fail. That is why the "aconv" test is there.

But occasionally, prove_conv is used to prove an auxiliary equality; in those cases, it is not clear that proving a trivial equality (t=t) should fail. So a quick fix would be to introduce a boolean argument, indicating whether a trivial result is acceptable or not. The attached code is an example of the situation.

fun proc ss t =
  let
    val reshape =  (*Move i*u to the front and put j*u into standard form
                       i + #m + j + k == #m + i + (j + k) *)
        if n1=0 orelse n2=0 then   (*trivial, so do nothing*)
          raise TERM("cancel_numerals", [])
        else Data.prove_conv [Data.norm_tac ss] ctxt prems
          (t', Data.mk_bal (newshape(n1,terms1'), newshape(n2,terms2')))
  in
    Option.map (export o Data.simplify_meta_eq ss)
      (if n2 <= n1 then
         Data.prove_conv
           [Data.trans_tac ss reshape, rtac Data.bal_add1 1,
            Data.numeral_simp_tac ss] ctxt prems
           (t', Data.mk_bal (newshape(n1-n2,terms1'), Data.mk_sum T terms2'))
       else
         Data.prove_conv
           [Data.trans_tac ss reshape, rtac Data.bal_add2 1,
            Data.numeral_simp_tac ss] ctxt prems
           (t', Data.mk_bal (Data.mk_sum T terms1', newshape(n2-n1,terms2'))))
  end

Larry