[isabelle-dev] Use of global simpset by definition packages

Alexander Krauss krauss at in.tum.de
Fri May 7 16:24:53 CEST 2010

Hi Brian,

Here are my thoughts:

- The termination prover uses the global simpset (clasimpset actually),
since I explicitly want it to pick up lemmas from the user. In practice,
I have never seen a termination proof break because of a bad simp rule
declared by the user. However, there is alse the possibility to declare
rules [termination_simp] that should be used *only* in termination
proofs. So the termination prover uses a superset.

- The core of the function package should never use the global simpset,
since it should be completely deterministic, and the user cannot declare
extra rules (The problem with the warning that you pointed out is
actually a violation of this rule, which I think should not be there).

- I think one should be particularly careful when the actual result of
some package (like the format of some rules) and not just success or
failure is influenced by declarations. [fundef_cong] is such a case. In
this case, it should really be a separate declaration, because otherwise
the dependencies get really strange.

What proofs are you considering?