[isabelle-dev] Sane Mercurial history

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Thu Mar 4 20:58:33 CET 2010

On Thu, 4 Mar 2010, Christian Urban wrote:

> On the topic of Mercurial: There is a nice 6-part
> tutorial about it at
>
>   http://hginit.com/01.html
>
> Maybe too basic for the seasoned users, but funny
> nonetheless. And an example for a very crisp-clear
> piece of writing.

Very nice.  Chapter 0 about "Subversion Re-education" also looks
interesting.  Quote:

   It turns out that if you’ve been using Subversion, your brain is a
   little bit, um, how can I say this politely? You’re brain damaged. No,
   that’s not polite. You need a little re-education. I walked around brain
   damaged for six months thinking that Mercurial was more complicated than
   Subversion, but that was only because I didn’t understand how it really
   worked, and once I did, it turns out—hey presto!—it’s really kind of
   simple.

   So I wrote this tutorial for you, in which I have been very careful not
   to explain things in terms of Subversion, because there is just no
   reason to cause any more brain damage. The world is brain damaged
   enough. Instead, for those of you who are coming from Subversion, I’ve
   got this one chapter at the beginning that will try to reverse as much
   damage as possible so that you can learn Mercurial from a clean slate.