[isabelle-dev] Additional type variable(s) in specification

Tobias Nipkow nipkow at in.tum.de
Thu Dec 2 18:42:28 CET 2010

The interface is a red herring. The discussion is on the concept at the
user level. If it is not generally useful but only in very arcane
situations, it should not happen implicitly, but the arcane situations
should be required to state the dependence explicitly. We have this
explicit over implicit principle in many places. A warning that in
essence says "This is most likely not what you wanted, but I'll do it
anyway" is just very odd, no matter how prominently it is displayed.

Surely it would not be that difficult to check whether the implicit
parameterisation has taken place and reject it on the top level, or have
a vesion of the underlying function that does not do the parametrisation
in the first place?

Tobias