[isabelle-dev] Safe approach to hypothesis substitution

Andreas Schropp schropp at in.tum.de
Tue Aug 24 19:01:11 CEST 2010

On 08/24/2010 06:35 PM, Makarius wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010, Andreas Schropp wrote:
>
>> Naive questions:
>>  * why is inspecting the whole context infeasible?
>>  * why can't we just collect (and cache?) the Frees occuring in
>> assumptions managed
>>    by assumption.ML and never delete equalities involving them?
>
> Assumptions belong to the "foundation" layer, i.e. they are
> conceptionally somehow accidental, even hidden.

Why is the safeness of this equality-elimination not a property only
dependent on the "foundation layer"?

> Just like global types/consts/defs, local fixes/assumes merely
> generate an infinite collection of consequences.  The latter is what
> you are working with conceptually, but it is not practical.  So the
> system provides further slots to declare certain consequences of a
> context to certain tools: simp, intro, elim etc.

I don't get this response:
   if a Free x is not mentioned in any assumes, the elimination of a hyp
x=t can not affect provability of the goal,
because any deductions involving x can be done with an arbitrary term of
the same type (esp. t) instead, right?