[isabelle-dev] Beta/Eta normalisation and net matching.

Thomas Sewell Thomas.Sewell at nicta.com.au
Wed Aug 4 03:50:32 CEST 2010

Hello Isabelle developers.

I was about to have another attempt at speeding up a tactic we implemented for L4.verified using net-matching. In reading Pure/net.ML I spotted the comment "Requires operands to be beta-eta-normal." In rereading the existing biresolution_from_nets_tac code, however, I didn't spot any attempt to beta/eta normalise the terms passed.

It occurs to me that I don't even know whether theorems in Isabelle can be assumed to be beta/eta normal. Does anyone have any quick pointers on that? Is there a potential bug here? Don't go searching for it - I'm happy to build some test cases and search for the answer myself if noone knows.

Yours,
    Thomas.