[isabelle-dev] Non-standard transfer vs. generic transfer

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Oct 26 09:33:10 CET 2009

A brief comment: a few weeks ago, I found myself doing a difficult
epsilon/delta proof, invoking limit theorems using e/2^N and summing
them up to get e, when I suddenly remembered non-standard analysis and
how it could eliminate those horrible proofs. Only, by that time, I
had nearly finished this proof; moreover, its argument (involving a
bijection between N x N and N) might have been difficult to formalise
using non-standard analysis.

However, I hope that non-standard analysis doesn't get overlooked in
our developments; I recall once thinking that it was worth any number
of decision procedures.
Larry