[isabelle-dev] Explicit behaviour of apply(auto) ?

Mikaël Mayer mmikael222 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 12:14:57 CEST 2009

Hi Florian,
Thanks for your help.
I tried prf, but it gave only an "?", when it was outside the proof, and
failed when it was inside the proof.
What I would like to know, is what were the rules that it used, that is,
what kind of "apply(....)" should I write to get the same result.

> (\<forall>x z. Q(x, z)=Q(f(x), z)))\<longrightarrow> (\<exists>z. Q(f(x),
> z))"
> by auto
> prf test

In this case, the auto method works fine, but in other quite similar cases,
it is extremely long (especially when you have arithmetic), and once it
finds the proof, I would like to insert it directly into the document to get
faster next time.
The trace simplifier is too exhaustive for my needs.

If you've heard of a solution, I'm interested !
Many thanks,
Mikaël