[isabelle-dev] Isabelle release snapshot

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Nov 25 15:53:12 CET 2009

After additional delays due to some confusion how the release process
actually works, we have now reached point zero.  This means that version
2ca2693a8c10 has been forked to a separate repository clone

   http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle-release

This is meant to become the officially published version within 1-2 weeks.
Only fixes of serious problems will be accepted on that branch (by
producing clean changesets to be grafted on that tree, cf. "hg export" or
"hg bundle").

(1) Testing.  This is the opportunity to try out if everything works for
the end-user, including the delicate system integration on Linux, Mac OS,
and Cygwin.  An early version of the still emerging website is available
here:

   http://www4.in.tum.de/~wenzelm/test/isa2009-1-test/

We are still hoping for:

   * a stable version of Proof General 4.0
   * a stable version of Cygwin 1.7

Note that the automatic isatest jobs and "the" development snapshot will
refer to http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle-release

(2) Ongoing development.  The main pull/push area
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle is already open for post-release
stuff right now.  None of that will affect the coming official
Isabelle2009-1. (In the past we used to have up to 2 weeks of
zero-entropy, but thanks to Mercurial this is no longer required.)

Nonetheless, bigger changes of theory libraries should be avoided.  In
particular, afp-devel needs to work with the isabelle-release branch, in
praparation of the official AFP release for Isabelle2009-1 that happens in
parallel.