[isabelle-dev] Isabelle/HOL axiom ext is redundant[SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Mon Nov 16 11:31:39 CET 2009

In the beginning, it was precisely as you describe. Even now, Isabelle/ZF and Isabelle/CTT continue to distinguish metalevel functions (which in ZF would be seen as operators or class functions) from the functions of the formalism. I published and implemented an early formalisation of simple type theory based on similar principles, but it wasn't pleasant to use. Tobias convinced me that a viable implementation of higher-order logic would have to use the built-in type inference mechanism, which Isabelle already possessed. This meant, in particular, allowing type variables as well as ordinary variables in users' formalisations of logic.
Larry