[isabelle-dev] Isabelle/HOL axiom ext is redundant

Lucas Dixon ldixon at inf.ed.ac.uk
Fri Nov 13 14:46:31 CET 2009

I was really wondering what the principle was that makes "-->" and "ALL"
fail (or be inappropriately convoluted) than using the meta-level
connectives: is there a small example that illustrates it?

My own understanding was that the meta-level of Isabelle, and the use of
it by Isar, facilitated the genericity natural deduction-style
reasoning. Generic proof tools can be written that work across logics.

Makarius, if I understood correctly, was saying that these meta-level
logical mechanisms have a utility even when just within one logic, but I
didn't understand what this would be, except perhaps distinguishing
between ND syntax and other logical syntax (which is my interpretation
of Michael's reply).

best,
lucas

--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.