[isabelle-dev] Isabelle/HOL axiom ext is redundant

Lawrence Paulson lp15 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 12 10:12:00 CET 2009

If you do these things, you put an end to all Isabelle logics other
than Isabelle/HOL. Remember, an object logic does not need to possess
an equality symbol or even an implication symbol.

Having just translated some lengthy, incomprehensible HOL proofs into
Isabelle, I appreciate more than ever the distinction between the
meta- and object- levels. HOL proofs are cluttered with extra steps to
manipulate implications because HOL has no other way to express the
dependence of a fact upon conditions.
Larry