[isabelle-dev] Isabelle NEWS as a blog ?

Tjark Weber webertj at in.tum.de
Tue Jul 14 12:17:25 CEST 2009

On Tue, 2009-07-14 at 11:19 +0200, Makarius wrote:
> [...] contributors are urged to document user relevant changes
> as soon as possible, in order that things are not forgotten for the
> release.  (I reckon that half of the changes after Isabelle2009 have not
> shown up in NEWS yet.)

> [...] proper log entries are mainly meant to describe changes
> semantically to enable understanding of the history of sources many
> months or years later.

There are quite a few things one has to keep in mind when committing
changes to the Isabelle repository: announcing user-relevant changes in
NEWS, making an entry in CONTRIBUTORS if appropriate, proper testing,
proper formatting, etc.

Is there a document that describes best practice?  Should there be such
a document, for (new) developers with write access to the repository?

Maybe a chapter in the "Isabelle Programming Tutorial" would be a good
place for this kind of information (unless passing it down by word of
mouth is considered satisfactory, of course).

Regards,
Tjark