[isabelle-dev] typrep?

Amine Chaieb ac638 at cam.ac.uk
Wed Jan 21 09:28:25 CET 2009

The situation is more delicate that I thought at first.

I just have some comments and more questions, no solution to the problem:

wrt to d) and e) (Users/Developers, HOL is difficult).
This theory is for now a "using" HOL, but of course I want to develop it
in a manner that it could become part of HOL.
The situation you mention in d) and e) has not to be this way and we
should not take it for granted that HOL is complex to develop etc. The
social and psychological consequences are not very nice if it becomes a
rule (my opinion).
Isabelle/HOL is remarkably more user friendly than many other system.
All this effort of the past decades seems to have negative back effects
in the past years: Many Developers stand before complex situations
nobody or sometimes only one understands. Don't you think it is time to
invest in a more developer-friendly Isabelle/HOL ?

If typerep is mainly used in connection with code-generation (as I
understand) isn't it an option to generate all these instances when you
call any code-generation facility? Or even in prior step e.g. called
setup-every-thing-that-has-to-do-with-code-generation?

Besides, I don't object to the idea of typerep at all, I am just
confused why the names clash? (Wasn't this the problem). In other words
is this problem unavoidable, so that one needs a hard
discussion/decision like typerep or no typerep?

Amine.