[isabelle-dev] Mercurial conversion relaunch

Makarius makarius at sketis.net
Wed Sep 3 21:20:15 CEST 2008

After spurious dropouts of changesets in the incremental CVS -> Mercurial
conversion I had to relaunch the whole process.  Within the next few hours
http://isabelle.in.tum.de/repos/isabelle will recover to the present state
of the CVS.  Since this is a fresh Mercurial repository, local clones
probably need to be recreated from scratch.

Incremental repository conversion is not very stable.  Problems are likely
to occur again in this intermediate situation where the old CVS is still
in action.  Pretty soon we really need to step forward to using Mercurial
exclusively, or stay with CVS indefinitely.

There are no technical problems to move on.  It is mainly a matter of more
people getting acquinted with the current state-of-the art in version
control.  As pointed out before, Mercurial is actually easier to use than
old CVS/SVN, only the way of thinking needs to be updated a little.

The famous talk of Linus Torvalds about Git
http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8 might help to get into
perspective.  (Please s/Git/Mercurial/g for whatever he says.)