[isabelle-dev] Relation_Power.thy

David Aspinall da at inf.ed.ac.uk
Tue Sep 2 16:57:02 CEST 2008

> There have been some thoughts to provide a mechanism of overloaded
> abbreviations or something similar to eliminate that problem

Yes --- I think the simplest thing is to simulate overloading by
extending Isabelle symbols with symbol variants, which automatically
have the same appearance but different underlying meaning, e.g.

   \<caret:funpow>

   \<caret:relpow>

This is already supported in the X-Symbol replacement in the CVS version
of Proof General, by the way, although Isabelle's lexer currently only
allows syntax like \<caret1> and \<caret2>.  If you're worried which
symbol you're looking at, you wave your mouse at it.  See
etc/isar/TokensAcid.thy for an example.

  - David

PS I also have a patch to implement this in X-Symbol but would rather
let X-Symbol die.

--
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.