[isabelle-dev] Isabelle on Mercurial

Gerwin Klein gerwin.klein at nicta.com.au
Tue Dec 2 23:30:34 CET 2008

Tjark Weber wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 22:09 +0100, Makarius wrote:
>> With Mercurial you have the whole history always around, and there is no
>> need to encode (tiny) parts of it in the file.
>
> Certainly $Id$ keys are rather useless as long as the file is part of a
> managed repository.  However, files escape into the wild.

I'm no great friend of $Id$, but Tjark does have a point: we release
development snapshots and it is very easy to confuse versions when people ask
questions about specific files etc.

Maybe a good point to add version info to files/do keyword substitution would
be makedist? I haven't checked the hg extension in detail, but it might be
possible to enable it only for export (archive), not for regular repository
traffic.

Gerwin